What is a TCA peel and how do I use it?
What is TCA Peel (or Trichloroacetic acid)?
TCA peels are cosmetic treatments that use trichloroacetic acid (TCA) to improve the skin’s appearance. TCA peels work by breaking the bonds that hold the skin layer together which allows for natural exfoliation and the removal of dead skin cells and stimulates new skin cell growth. TCA is used to achieve younger looking skin, and to treat certain skin conditions like melasma and acne scarring. This is according to Healthline.com.
TCA peels are a medium-depth peel that penetrates deeper than glycolic, salicylic, and most of the other acids available over the counter. TCA is an ideal choice for those with scarring, acne, wrinkles, and pigmentation concerns. TCA is a medical-grade acid and until Dermatologist’s Choice Advanced Peel TCA, is mainly applied in a dermatologist office or medical spa. TCA peels can help be the quick and simple solution for minimizing fine lines, sun damage, and acne scars to name a few. Keep in mind that TCA should not be used on those who have severely sensitive skin or those who have never used non-neutralized glycolic acid. TCA is highly effective and can produce exceptional results, similar to visiting the dermatologist, but several days after applying a TCA peel skin may flake, peel, or become dry or red. In a week, once the downtime has concluded, skin is typically looking its best.
This is how to use the TCA Peel.The TCA Advanced Peel Solution only takes about a minute, is usually painless, and naturally resurfaces the skin for a truly revitalized complexion. It uses medical-grade ingredients to break down your top layer of skin and reveal healthy skin underneath. Dermatologist recommends application of the TCA Advanced Peel Solution once a week or as needed. The TCA Advanced Peel is best for those who have received a chemical peel or used non-neutralized glycolic acid.
Your exact application may differ slightly, but here’s what you can generally expect:
- Cleanse your skin to remove dirt and oil. Pat skin dry.
- Then apply the TCA Advance Peel Solution by rolling a thin layer over the skin once, starting from the top of the forehead and working down to the chin. Do not allow solution in eyes or mouth.
- You may experience some numbness or tingling once the first layer is applied.
- Depending on your skin sensitivity and the depth of the solution, your skin may “frost,” or turn white.
- Apply moisturizer immediately after applying the TCA Advanced Peel Solution to soothe redness, tingling, or frosting.
- Skin may start peeling about 1 to 3 days after the initial application of the TCA solution. Apply moisturizer to decrease dryness.
- About 7 days after the solution has been applied skin will appear brighter, smoother, and clearer.
- For deep fine lines and stubborn acne apply solution more often for deeper penetration and quicker results. Repeat steps 1 through 5.
- Avoid direct sunlight, wear sunscreen, and protect skin by wearing a hat to protect the skin from sun damage.